Are you looking for advice on how to identify a quality cigar? Here are tips on what to look for when buying high-quality cigars:
- Shape is the most important thing to evaluate when looking for a good quality cigar. First, find a shape that you like and will feel comfortable smoking.
- Then, quite simply, judge a book by its cover — in this case, the wrapper. Make sure that the outermost leaf (the wrapper) is applied flawlessly, without gaps, or tears.
- Color uniformity is key when it comes to top quality cigars. Look for uniform color. You don’t want a cigar that is mottled or spotted.
- Avoid cigars that haven’t been kept at appropriate humidity levels — this will mean the cigar feels dry, flakes, or crumbles.
- However, if you do have a cigar in your humidor that has dried out, there is a way to rehydrate a cigar.
- Look for cigars with a luster or sheen which indicates that they are high quality.
- Good cigars should not have any weak spots. Make sure the cigar is well-filled with tobacco and has a consistently firm feel throughout, without any weak spots.
- The flavor is also very important. Remove the cigar from its outer wrapping (if in a cigar shop, ask for permission first!), put the cigar up to your nose and take a nice deep inhale. If the smell of the cigar is appealing to you, chances are the taste will be, too.