This week, CAO is pouring up a premium take on Flathead Friday with the continuation of their #MixUpAGoodTime social video series, pairing cigars in their lineup with a suggested cocktail.
Check out the video and the recipe below, then #MixUpAGoodtime of your own with a sazerac and a Flathead V21.
Sazerac X V21
Why Flathead V21 with a Sazerac?
This is one of those pairings that takes you by surprise. The secret sauce for this incredible combo is V21’s Mexican San Andres wrapper. The wrapper's subtle sweetness and distinctive flavors complement the boldness of the bitters and absinthe within the sazerac –– ensuring the best experience of both the cigar and the drink. At the same time, the full-bodied and earthy flavors brought forth by the rye whiskey pair perfectly with those of V21’s Ligero fillers, making this pairing a classy combination that works on a molecular level.
How to make your own Sazerac
The sazerac is a fabled cocktail that’s not only hugely popular in New Orleans, but also in classy lounges across the world. With a storied past and a timeless taste, the sazerac is a go-to for a simple, delicious and elegant cocktail to go with ANY premium cigar, but we love it with Flathead V21.
For a single serving, you’ll need:
- 2 oz. Rye whiskey
- ¼ oz. simple syrup
- 3 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- Absinthe (as a mist, or a ½ oz. pour)
- Herbsaint as alternative
- Chilled lowball glass
- Mixing glass
- Combined ice, rye, simple syrup and Peychaud’s bitters to mixing glass
- Stir until chilled
- Add a mist (or ½ oz. pour) of absinthe to the inside of your chilled lowball glass.
- If pouring, swirl absinthe around your chilled glass until it coats the inside; dispose of the excess.
- Strain your chilled mix into your lowball glass - NO ICE
- Express lemon peel over the cocktail, then drop it in!
- Enjoy one of the oldest and most delicious cocktails ever made, with your V21, of course.
Find your perfect cigar and drink pairing
If you’re looking for any other beverages to pair with your favorite cigars, check out how to find your perfect cigar below.
What’s your favorite pairing with a CAO Flathead?
Let us know in the comments below, and tell us if you tried this excellent combo.